Spring 2021 Information
- School Hours
- Sample Distance Learning Schedule
- Sample Hybrid Schedule
- Breakfast & Lunch
- Tech Support
The following schedule is a sample Distance Learning Schedule. A finalized schedule will be shared by your child's classroom teacher. All Distance Learning classes will be broken up into two groups (A and B).
Distance Learning Sample Schedule
- 8:30 a.m.: Morning Meeting Google Meet (Both A & B)
- 9:00 a.m.: Literacy Instruction via Google Meet (Group A)/Independent Work via Seesaw (Group B)
- 9:50 a.m.: Literacy Instruction via Google Meet(Group B)/Independent Work via Seesaw (Group A)
- 10:45 a.m.: Math Instruction via Google Meet(Group A)/Independent Work via Seesaw (Group B)
- 11:35 a.m.: Math Instruction via Google Meet(Group B)/Independent Work via Seesaw (Group A)
- 12:25 p.m.: Lunch Break & Free Time
- 1:45 p.m.: Small Group Instruction via Google Meet (mix of A & B-Daily Schedule TBD)
- 2:40 p.m.: Closing Circle Google Meet (Both A & B)
Days at Mendota
- Morning Meeting (joined by both A and B groups daily-either on site or via Google Meet)
- Reading Instruction
- Math Instruction
- Specialist Area (PE, Music, Art, or Spanish)
- Reading Instruction
- Math Instruction
- Choice Time
- Closing Circle (joined by both A and B groups daily-either on site or via Google Meet)
Days at Home
- 8:30 a.m.: Morning Meeting via Google Meet
- 9:00 a.m.-2:40 p.m.: Self-Paced Independent Activities posted on Seesaw may include some individual or small group instruction from classroom teacher on Wednesday
- 2:40 p.m.: Closing Circle via Google Meet
Free meals are now available to all children in School District 197 (ages 1-18). The U.S. Department of Agriculture has announced it will waive all fees for school meals through December 31, 2020 (or earlier if funding runs out). This is an extension of the summer meals program that provided meals to families throughout distance learning last spring and into the summer. For more information, click here.
How will my student get their free meals?
When learning in-person at school, breakfast and lunch will be available at no cost to students. Students may purchase a carton of milk for $0.50 to go with a breakfast or lunch brought from home, as milk by itself is not free. When learning at home (either as part of hybrid learning or full-time distance learning), a free breakfast and lunch bundle will be available for families to pick up between 9 a.m. and 11 a.m. at every School District 197 school. Free meals will only be provided for scheduled school days. Meals will not be provided on holidays or scheduled days off. Breakfast and lunch menus are available on the district website. The menus apply to meals served in school and picked up curbside.
Please hang onto the barcoded PIN card you recently received in the U.S. Mail. Students will need these once schools resume normal breakfast and lunch service.
What are the benefits of school meals?
School meals offer students:
- Age-appropriate calorie limits and portion sizes
- Daily servings of fresh fruits and vegetables (Note: all students must take at least one 1/2 cup serving of fruit/vegetables with their lunch meal and at least 1/2 cup juice or fruit with their breakfast meal)
- White or flavored fat-free milk or 1% white milk
- Whole grain breads, pastas, and grains
- Lean proteins from meat and non-meat sources
- Options with reduced sodium and limited saturated fats
Do I still need to fill out a Free & Reduced Application (FRP) form
Even though meals are free for the first few months of school, you still need to fill out your Free & Reduced Application form. This ensures you’ll have help paying for meals after December 31 (or earlier if funding runs out), and also helps you cover costs for other school-related activities. In addition, it grants our district access to state funding to support our schools. Complete the 2020-2021 Free & Reduced Meal Application online here or request one by calling 651-403-7320.
Please Note: Families MUST fill out a new application for benefits at the beginning of each school year or benefits will expire on October 22, 2020.